VirtuaLUG is an online LEGO User Group founded in late-2011 by a like-minded group of adult fans of LEGO (AFOL's) who cemented virtual friendships by meeting in person at conventions and gatherings of LEGO fans. Membership in VirtuaLUG is by invitation only and is limited to experienced LEGO builders who exhibit constructive and positive behavior within the greater LEGO Community. We are a world-wide organization and our members gather to attend LEGO fan events wherever and whenever they are held in the spirit of fellowship and fun. We also work to promote the spirt of creative play using LEGO bricks both within our respective local communities and throughout the world.
- Membership in this LUG is by invitation only. No exceptions.
- You must be 18 years of age (16+ with a parent's permission) and must be nominated by a current VirtuaLUG member.
- This is a website for adults (and mature minors with parental permission). We do not believe in censoring our members. As such, swearing, sexual innuendo, NSFW content, and etc. may be present in the private forums. You have been warned.
- Upon nomination, you may be required to submit a resume to the LUG for review, if a majority of current VirtuaLUG members are not aware of your activity in the LEGO Community. This should include links to your online presence in the AFOL community (if you have it), pictures of your builds (if no online presence), description of your participation in the AFOL community (both online and offline), and any other activities you participate in to further the LEGO hobby.
- Your resume will be reviewed/discussed in our private forum by current members and a vote will be taken on membership approval/denial. You will be notified of acceptance/denial by the Administrators of the VirtuaLUG website.
- Grandfather Statement: At the time of acceptance of these Bylaws, all current Club Members are deemed to have satisfied the eligibility requirements, but remain subject to the eligibility retention requirements. These bylaws supersede any and all previous agreements about membership.
Mission & Active Membership Requirements
- Mission: VirtuaLUG is a non-profit, organization dedicated to creating and maintaining public awareness of, appreciation for, and fellowship related to LEGO, LEGO Trains, and other LEGO-related hobbies, primarily through discussion and presentation at events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of LEGO to the hobbyist community.
- Active membership in the LUG is required to be a member in good standing. Definition of "active membership" is at the discretion of the VirtuaLUG staff. Participation in offline LUG events is not mandatory, but highly encouraged. Options for participation can include (but are not limited to): contributing a build to a VirtuaLUG group layout (whether able to physically attend or not), displaying one's creation locally (toy store, library, city hall, school, etc.) as long as VirtuaLUG is mentioned in the display (card/sign), speaking on behalf of VirtuaLUG at an event (school, scout meeting, etc.), and etc. If in doubt about whether your activity qualifies, please contact the VirtuaLUG staff.
- VirtuaLUG shall have one official "Annual Meeting" each year at Brickworld in Chicago, IL during the month of June.
- VirtuaLUG may have additional physical or virtual meetings during the year, at places and times to be determined, and communicated to the membership no less than 2 weeks prior to said meetings. Additional meetings may be held anywhere, and are not restricted to any physical location. Additional meetings and exhibits may or may not allow public attendance. VirtuaLUG may from time to time present or participate in events, exhibits, and/or shows. These events may be organized by the Club, or by other groups as deemed appropriate. Virtual meetings may be held using Go-To Meeting or a similar system throughout the year.
Code of Conduct
- Gentle ribbing and "smack-talk" is certainly welcome in our forums, but you must be mature enough to know the difference between "smack-talk" and verbal abuse. Above all, we must respect each other and knowing how to behave like an adult in an online context -- with civility, respect, and maturity -- is an absolute requirement within VirtuaLUG. Maturity includes the ability to communicate in complete sentences and with (relatively) proper grammar. If you feel someone is making a verbal attack on you, either contact the member privately to try and resolve the issue or (as a last resort) you can contact a VirtuaLUG staff member for assistance.
- There may be times when we disagree or don't get along, but that doesn't mean we canít be civil. Tolerance is key to a positive and productive online experience. Remember, it is okay to agree to disagree. It's usually best to share your concerns in private first. You may experience situations with a fellow member or staff member that make you unhappy. Please consider contacting the person through private message. If you feel the issue is not then resolved to your satisfaction, please bring the issue to a VirtuaLUG staff member, who will then assess the situation with the rest of the VirtuaLUG staff and take the appropriate action(s).
- Once again...this is a website for adults (and mature minors with parental permission). We do not believe in censoring our members. As such, swearing, sexual innuendo, NSFW content, and etc. may be present in the private forums. You have been warned...again.
- If you know someone who you feel would be a good fit for VirtuaLUG (both as a LEGO builder and a person), please suggest that person by starting a new member nomination thread in the proper area of the forum. Potential new members should be experienced LEGO builders who are regularly active in the LEGO fan community and who demonstrate the civility, maturity, and respect that VirtuaLUG expects from its members.
- Please note that these policies are intended to be pro-active for the unanticipated event that something should happen that makes them necessary. If a member is found to be behaving (while representing VirtuaLUG) in a manner deemed to be in direct conflict with of the Code of Conduct, the appropriate steps will be taken to contain and limit those actions. This will be done through a Three Strike Policy. The first offense may warrant a reprimand from the VirtuaLUG staff. The second offense may warrant a temporary suspension from VirtuaLUG, up to three months, depending on the offense. The third offense may warrant full dismissal from VirtuaLUG.
- This Code of Conduct is retroactive for all current members. By choosing to continue as a member and participate on the site, you indicate that you have read and agreed to these new guidelines.
- Members and staff are all equally bound by these guidelines. Members should expect from staff the same ethical behavior staff expect from members.
- In the interest of transparency, when appropriate, major decisions will be brought before members for discussion.
- Members are welcome to question and discuss these guidelines. However, VirtuaLUG does reserve the right to ask a member to leave for any reason.
- VirtuaLUG reserves the right to amend and adjust the Code of Conduct as needed.
- All decisions of the VirtuaLUG staff are final.